Sunday, October 21, 2012

Indianapolis Marathon 5K

This weekend I had the privilege to participate in the Indianapolis Marathon 5K! This makes my 2nd 5k I have ever participated in. The first one was the Ronald McDonald House 5K which I walked in. This time I wanted to challenge myself and RUN a 5K. So, with my sister in tow as my motivational support person, I RAN my first 5K!
1st mile marker and still going strong!


Crossing the finish line and finished in 48 minutes!
 I love a good challenge so I wanted to see if I could actually run 3.5 miles! I'll admit, I had to take a few walk breaks, but to say I RAN a 5K is one thing I can check off my bucket list! There is only one thing I am a little embarrassed to admit... my beautiful sister just had a baby 4 months ago... and she beat me! She was the one pushing me to keep going!! She is such a driven individual and I admire her for her competitive nature!
My sister and I with our finisher medals
One thing I have gained from this experience is to challenge yourself. If you think you can not do something, do it just because you think you can't. The worst thing that can happen is you fail. But what is worse than failing is being scared to not even try at all. Failure isn't losing, however, because you already beat the person who was too afraid to try.


This medal is going in my "Accomplishment Cabinet"


I didn't win or even place in the top 100, but I challenged myself and finished. I was so proud of this accomplishment and want to use this as an example that if you set your mind to it you can do anything. From this experience, I have set a new goal: to run in a 5K every month (every other month at the least) and maybe by next year you will see this girl running in her first mini or half marathon! Who knows... Only I can determine that!

Until next time friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment